|Ramana Maharshi (1879 – 1950) ‘the sage of Arunachala’. At the age of 16 he travelled to the holy mountain of Arunachala where he taught and drew disciples from around the world. He mostly kept silent seeking to teach through the power of meditation. He also wrote some poems.|
Selected Poems of Ramana Maharshi
- Letters to Sri Arunachala
- Paul Brunton on Ramana Maharhsi
- Sat Darshan
- Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam
- The Self Is Known To Everyone
- There Is Nothing new To Get
- To Sri Ganesha
Life of Ramana Maharshi
Ramana Maharshi was one of India’s greatest Spiritual Teachers of the Twentieth Century. Ramana Maharshi was born on December 30, 1879 in a village called Tirucculi about 30 miles south of Madurai in southern India. At an early age he had a profound experience in which he became acutely aware of the mortality of the body. This led on to a profound insight that He was not the Body, but spirit. After this experience he became absorbed in deep meditations, in which he began to experience his real self, which transcended ego.
With a glimpse of this higher consciousness Ramana lost interest in worldly life and travelled to the holy Mountain of Arunachala Here he spent several years meditating alone at the foot of the mountain, but gradually many seekers became attracted to the his divine personality and aura of peace and thus an ashram was built on the slopes of Arunachala, which continues today.
Ramana Maharshi taught seekers to silence the mind and try and discover the source of their thoughts. He taught the goal was to try and reach beyond their ego bound state and answer the question ‘Who am I?’ In the beginning this is a difficult task but eventually the power of the ego will be diminished by the power of the heart.
Ramana Maharshi Links
- Wisdom of Ramana Maharshi- Selected writings of Ramana Maharshi
- Biography of Ramana Maharshi at Write Spirit
- Poems of Ramana Maharshi
- Ramana Puranam – Poem composed jointly by Muruganar and Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi
- Ramana Mahashi – Site dedicated to Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.
- Arunachala.org – Ashram dedicated to life and teachings of Ramana Maharshi
- Forty Verses on Reality by Ramana Maharshi
- David Godman.org- Excellent collection of writings by Ramana Maharshi and also devotees who came into contact with Sri Bhagavan
- Tributes to Ramana Maharshi- Tributes by devotees and admirers